In 1938, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peterborough opened the first St. Joseph's Hospital in Estevan, Saskatchewan. Their vision and dedication played a vital role in assisting the Town of Estevan, which was facing a serious health care dilemma after the previous hospital was destroyed by a fire in 1936. The original St. Joseph’s Hospital was a 40 bed, four-story structure and was completed in less than six months. The Sisters were instrumental in both the funding and the staffing of the new, then ‘state of the art’ facility. Additions continued to be added to the hospital. In 1956, a new wing with additional beds was constructed, followed by another expansion to improve medical services and increase the capacity of radiology and laboratory services.
1988 marked the 50th anniversary of St. Joseph’s Hospital. It also brought a commitment from the Sisters for the construction of a new hospital. The new 140-bed hospital was built in 1991 and presently accommodates the city’s and the surrounding communities’ medical needs. The facility also houses many of the Sun Country Health Region programs such as Home Care, Public Health, and Mental Health. With the addition of the Endoscopy services and the Renal Unit, St. Joseph’s Hospital continues to grow and broaden the services it provides.
Although the Sisters are no longer active in operations, their spiritual presence is a testimony to their perseverance and faith.
Click here for more on St. Joseph’s History and the History of hospitals in Estevan.